·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could i get them from a junkyard jeep?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes you could assuming they are in decent condition.

You might also the 4wd suspension parts also if the 2wd suspension is different.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Actually now that you mention that, the 2wd and 4wd transmissions might be different also.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Are you sure the tranny is different? I was looking at some jeeps at a JY and the tranny seemed the same. All that was different was the output shaft was about a foot longer to make up for the tcase being gone.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Are you sure the tranny is different? I was looking at some jeeps at a JY and the tranny seemed the same. All that was different was the output shaft was about a foot longer to make up for the tcase being gone.

Thats exactly it, on an Automatic the output is ~7" longer. You would need to swap in a 4wd output shaft... or just replace the trans. Cant just cut the shaft because there would be no splines or speedo gear cut.

When i did my conversion i had a 4wd and 2wd trans side by side and noted these differences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would a 4wd tranny bolt right up to my engine?

·
Registered
557 Posts
would a 4wd tranny bolt right up to my engine?
Automatic? Yes. Be careful though, you need to match spline count to trans and transfer. You can use 21 or 23 spline.. but cannot mix the two. Simply buying or pulling them as an assembly from a donor would guarantee this... or just be cartain of what you get seperately.

Trans output shaft spline count needs to match transfer input spline count.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts