Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is a huge jeep fanatic, he built a CJ from the tub and totally restored it. Anyways he has about 4 or 5 different jeeps and he goes on the trails all the time. All this to say, he knows his way around a jeep. He traded me a stock XJ which he put a working engine in and the other day I was driving and it just started chugging really low. I lost power steering and my brakes got hard to push but the engine was still running. I got to the next stop and my engine quit running plus I smelled gas REALLY strong. I was able to cut it back on and baby it home, brakes and steering worked fine, but it was difficult. The engine has a low grumble noise, something it has never done before. I can start it now but if I take my foot off the gas, the engine dies fairly quickly. My buddy came over to look at it, checked several things with the electronics, engine, vacuum system, etc. But couldn't figure anything out at all. There is no check engine light but the code reader isnt working either.

I cant answer too many questions because I'm not car savvy but I know people in here are. Anyone have any ideas?

Summary:
  • Engine starts, idles, and dies quickly with a really low grumble that it's never had before
  • No check engine light but the code reader wont work either
  • It all happened super fast
  • Oil is fine

·
Premium Member
9,185 Posts
Not sure what is going on here, but first what year engine, ECM etc. I think you should get in touch with him and see what he did to put this together

1 - 2 of 2 Posts