Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'96 XJ here, and in all the time I've had this one since 2007 the fuel pump has never been replaced. So unless it was replaced in that first 10 years or so I'm still working with the original one installed.

Just twice now in the last week I've noticed a kind of quieter whiney sound coming from about the fuel pump area when I've been under low enough moderate acceleration to hear the sound. It's only happened a couple times but only during acceleration. Is this a typical symptom when a fuel pump is about to give out?

If this is what's happening, is there any good tutorial thread out there to help me get this pump changed out?

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
fuel pumps are assholes. they generally don't give much warning when they are goin to die. but, you are in luck 96 is one of the few years where you can remove the fuel pump without dropping the whole tank. it's mounted on the front. there is a metal ring that locks it in. you have to tap the little locks counter clockwise and it will release. spray it off first to remove the dirt and make sure you get a new rubber washer/o-ring. also check the wiring to the pump. following the ground wire(black) to where it mounts. it's probably rusted and corroded.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Nut

1 - 2 of 2 Posts