Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think this is the only place I haven't said anything, but I leave for USMC Boot Camp next month. Jan. 26th. Bottom line, I have to store my XJ. :( I was just wanting to know some things that I should do to prepare it for storage, oil change, fuel stabilizer, etc. I will be gone roughly 6 months give or take.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
my sisters BF just finish his basic, then his arm training and he is going to Afghanistan on Jan,,, USMC, ,,

on the XJ issue, well have oil change, fuel stabilizer, an have someone turn it on at least 2 times a week for about 20 to 30 mins,, if they can use it a lil, or drive it a lil, and when you come back change fluids again

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going in for Radio Communications so hopefuly I don't get deployed but.....IDK.

But as far as the starting up thing, I don't think that's gonna happen. I get 10 days leave after basic (3 months), so i'll use it then but other than that it's just gonna sit. I could ask my wide to go start it but she thinks it's just a piece of machinery and doesn't get the whole "lifestyle" thing :brickwall:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
tell her, that the machine needs to be start for it to be happy and not loose money

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Be sure to unplug the battery aswell. Will you still be able to talk with us when you are in?
I think i'm gonna use this as an excuse to get an optima as my current battery barley cranks the engine on a cold morning (25*) after just one night.

I won't be able to talk while i'm in basic, but as soon as I get stationed I will. I'll probably get stationed somewhere in mid-southern California, but i'm hoping for Hawaii. :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Make sure the fuel tank is full also, disconnect the battery, and do an oil change. I'd probably grease everything as well for safe measure. Otherwise, you should be OK.

Good Luck & Thanks for Your service!
Why should the tank be full? And the oil change before right? I only ask cause I've never stored a vehicle before :eek:

And no prob on the service, your actually the first one to say thanks. :rock:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
A full tank of gas helps prevent any condensation from forming on the inside of the tank and mixing with the fuel. Granted, a significant amount of moisture probably wouldn't collect, but it won't hurt to keep the tank full just in case. I drive my XJ maybe once a week now, but keep the tank full anyway.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm going in for Radio Communications so hopefuly I don't get deployed but.....IDK.

But as far as the starting up thing, I don't think that's gonna happen. I get 10 days leave after basic (3 months), so i'll use it then but other than that it's just gonna sit. I could ask my wide to go start it but she thinks it's just a piece of machinery and doesn't get the whole "lifestyle" thing :brickwall:
Thanks for your service..

A lot of good advise here. Disconnect battery, fill the tank.

Have the wife start it once and again.....

She'd be more likely to want to help if you didn't call her wide... Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paris Island? Thanks for your service, and remember Basic training is what you make it.
Actually Camp Pendelton, since i'm on the west side of the U.S..

Thanks everybody for the kudos :cheers:

And nobody heard me say wide....right?.....:peep: :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts