Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up some muddies, they are LT265/75R16 (31s)
I put them on and there's a fair bit of rubbing on wheel turn / lock, mostly the bottom of the front wheel arches.

I've got a '98 XJ Sport that was on stock wheels (15" rim) and tyres (28s I believe) but does have a lift from previous owner... maybe 2" or so... I'll try and work out what the exact lift is on it tomorrow. Would help things to know that!

To fix this what are some options?
Ideally I don't want to cut the fenders and get deep in that rabbithole

Insight would be much appreciated

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Pics please. Where is it rubbing?
I run 4" lift on 31s and with proper bumpstopping it doesn't rub at all. I also moved my front fenders up 1.5".

Is it rubbing when flexing or just simply flat ground turning? You mention two different tires so Im assuming its a different set of wheels on the 31s you have. What are the specs for them? Are they properly backspaced and offset?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will attach photos of where it's rubbing. As for backspacing and offset... I'll see if I can work that out! However they came off another XJ 96, so I assumed it would be a smooth swap! o_O

They are super close. Rub when turning flat driving... Seems to mostly catch on the lip of the bottom fender mostly, but if it was offroad there'd be no chance methinks!

Can try adjusting the steering stop / bump stop (same thing??) if it'll help the cause. I'm keen to try and not cut things up for a set of wheels I'm yet to even drive with!

If it helps here's a pic of the stock wheels fitted on before the new ones for comparison of space...

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Well, I don't see any coil spacers, so unless you have aftermarket lift coil springs that jeep is sitting at stock height. You won't clear 31s without a lift or some cutting. You just won't.

Bump stops and steering stops are not the same thing. Bumpstops are suspension and keep your wheels from getting into the body by limiting the uptravel. Steering stops limit how tight you can turn.

I don't know the backspacing of those new wheels, but it looks like they sit out decently wide. This will help keep the tires from rubbing the lower control arms when you turn the wheels.

They are absolutely going to rub on everything when you flex or go offroad or drive over a curb. Only way to eliminate rubbing on the fenders is to cut or lift.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't see any coil spacers, so unless you have aftermarket lift coil springs that jeep is sitting at stock height. You won't clear 31s without a lift or some cutting. You just won't.

Bump stops and steering stops are not the same thing. Bumpstops are suspension and keep your wheels from getting into the body by limiting the uptravel. Steering stops limit how tight you can turn.

I don't know the backspacing of those new wheels, but it looks like they sit out decently wide. This will help keep the tires from rubbing the lower control arms when you turn the wheels.

They are absolutely going to rub on everything when you flex or go offroad or drive over a curb. Only way to eliminate rubbing on the fenders is to cut or lift.
Measured the lift, top of axel tube to upper rail / body... Comes out to be around Front: 2-2.5" Rear: 2"

I bought it 2nd hand so not sure what they ACTUALLY installed, but looks lifted relative to other stocks i've seen...

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Depends on what kind of lift you currently have. Some up close picks of your front and rear suspension may help to better understand what the previous owner did and what "kit" or methods they used to lift your XJ.

Reactions: XJSuperman

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Ok, so no coil spacers but you get 2" of lift meaning you measured 19" between the hub center and the bottom of the fender flare up front? So they used aftermarket coil springs, thats good. Hopefully the rest of the lift is nicely done too.

Lifting it more will get expensive really quick, so be prepared for that. Brake lines, trackbar, steering adjustments, control arms, etc.

Seems like everyone cuts their fenders but the other option would be to install aftermarket flares that open up the wheelwells. Napier, Bushwhacker, etc.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A little more off-set with your rims would help a lot. You can use the limit screw on each side to keep it from rubbing to hard on the control arm, but I wouldn't keep it from touching it to keep as much off your turn radius as possible. I just added a little weld on the adjustment nut to do the same.
There are a lot of things that work together to solve you problem, it just takes a lot of adjustments to get it right.

Nice looking Xj by the way!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 32s with a 4.5 RE lift and I believe the wheels are 4.25 backspace. I have extended bumpstops. It was fine as a pavement princess, but once it went offroad it rubbed (swaybar disconnected). I did some cutting and installed Napier flares. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a stock height 1998 xj with 31" on her and all I did was trim a bit of the plastic at the front of the wheel well and it works perfectly, only time I have ever rubbed was when it was flexed as much as possible on the trails (isn't actually that much fkex being stock suspension) I would send a picture but I've kinda stripped the whole front end off.

Awesome looking jeep by the way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts