Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1992 Cherokee XJ 4.0 L Limited, with the rear-right indicator that no longer works.

A month ago I had managed to make it work by putting contact cleaner in the connector on the left side under the fuse box. It worked for a while, but now it's stopped working again.

When switch on the hazard lights, all indicators work except the rear-right.

When I move the indicator switch to the left, left-side indicators work ok.

When I move the indicator switch to the right, the front-right and right fender indicators work ok. However the rear-right doesn't, nor does the right nor the right-turn light on the instrument panel.

The symptom is that of a defective bulb, but the bulb is ok, as is the bulb holder.

I removed the interior trim and followed the wires, putting contact cleaner on all connectors up to the one on the left side under the fuse box.

If I unplug the connector just upstream of the rear-right light cluster, I have intermittent 12V on the tan/green wire (which is connected to the tan wire to indicator bulb), so that's ok.

However, if I reconnect the connector in question, I no longer have power on the tan/green wire. If I unplug the connector again, there's still no power on the tan/green wire. If I leave the connector unplugged for some time and turn on the hazard lights again, I have power again.

I'm utterly confused. Has anyone got an idea?

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Do you have a trailer pig tail? Do the brake and reverse lights work on the right side?
There is a ground for those lights. Make sure it is clean. Sometimes the sockets get corroded. And the springs get weak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, all other lights of the rear-right side work. I do have a trailer socket.

I’m surprised to see that the ground from the wiring (black wires) do not appear to be connected to the bodywork. Is this how it should be ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the ground from the wires is connected to the bodywork, but there´s 5 ohm resistance in between.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That seems like a lot for a direct connection. I would clean your contact point to the body and retest. Could be corrosion giving you grief.

Reactions: Gluckmysock
1 - 5 of 5 Posts