Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote from link below: A steering stabilizer (like any dampener) is added to a design to move or attenuate the natural frequency of the assembly. The designers goal is to prevent vibration amplitudes that cause damage.

All steering systems (solid axle or IFS) have a natural frequency where they will vibrate, shimmy, wobble, or have a tendency to become uncontrollable. This is due to the fact they are attached to rotating parts (wheels) and are allowed to rotate themselves (steer). They vibrate, have movement, and move at velocities that can place the assembly (or critical parts) in a resonant frequency.

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/why_steering_stabilizers.htm

·
Registered
191 Posts
Brett, If you mean your Dana 35, I believe you need 2 quarts from my last change out. To go another step further (and possibly start a further debate) which you can research on past threads using the search feature...

The oil I used was 70/90 but I drive on the road as a "pavement pounder" for now. Search the thread. If you are motivated. Have the Danas tapped so they can breathe and not cook the oil and the temperature can be allowed to regulate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is over my head. Look for guys with Moderator status or Experienced.

Keep in mind, the status does not mean that someone knows a lot. I have had issues with my two XJ's.

I read a ton on here, and ask questions. When I feel comfortable offering help, it is very little, don't want to misinform anyone...

These guys to name a few: Pizzaman, Lowcog, 2000XJ, Rob-XJ, Jramey, 4.3L XJ, Certo, Lyon, Tboneroks, CTXJ who have all been helpful to me. If you see them on a thread, and need help, along with anyone else reach out, everyone is helpful!!!!

Keep at it.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I believe they are eye center to eye center.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mistake

I saw your post and I myself agree its an amazing source for people looking for specs and more info on their Cherokee's, but I have to ask something because I myself have done some research on these vehicles. Isn't the diesel a 2.1 (126 CID) and not a 2.5, just wondering and trying to help if I may be right.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I saw your post and I myself agree its an amazing source for people looking for specs and more info on their Cherokee's, but I have to ask something because I myself have done some research on these vehicles. Isn't the diesel a 2.1 (126 CID) and not a 2.5, just wondering and trying to help if I may be right.
Yes, the Renault diesel is a 2.1. :thumbsup:

Renault 2.1L 4cyl. Turbo Diesel - 85 hp @ 3750 rpm, 132 ft lb @ 2750 rpm - used in 85-87

Italian VM 2.5L Turbo Diesel - 140 hp, 236 ft lb torque - used in overseas XJs

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
^x1million. You already solved half your axle problem by blowing up your existing 35, time to swap in an 8.25 and call it a day.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Does a 1996 front driveshaft fit a 2001 model? Obviously both automatic trans, 4.0L, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I know if my XJ 1997 sport TD was a USA/Canada build or an export?

It had two different tail lights, one USA and the other is export, not sure which one is original, what other ways are there to tell the difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
check your door for the build sticker? Or send into Jeep for a build sheet....someone here has a link to that. I did it a long time ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
check your door for the build sticker? Or send into Jeep for a build sheet....someone here has a link to that. I did it a long time ago.
Yea I got my build sheet a long time ago. I'll see if I have the link somewhere.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts