Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 89 Cherokee Pioneer that i just swapped the front axle on. The axle came from a 93 parts jeep i own which is a cherokee laredo. I'm getting a vibration from my front driveshaft and am told that the pinion angle is incorrect. What can i do? These people say the only thing i can do is rotate my axle 3 degrees and bead weld my suspension. Wouldn't that throw off my steering systems?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Lifted? Regardless, get a set if control arms that fit. Then an alignment.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Adjustable control arms will fix that. Probably steer better too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everything lines up. It's on the jeep now and i can drive it but looking at the pinion placement between differentials the angle is different. On the '93 the pinion is lower then the 89.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Online or in a 4x4 store.
Amazon, Google, quadratec, 4wdparts, 4wheelparts, metalcloak, rough country, Rubicon express, zone, skyjacker, bds, procomp, Clayton, and on and on and on.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
So I know this didn't get any traction the first time, but Im a stubborn fool and Id like to try again....

Thinking stock ball joint and ujoint part numbers would be a fantastic addition to this thread...
--Ball joints--(lower/upper)
Spicer: 706944x
NAPA: NCP 2601292/NCP 2601291

______:
______:

--Ujoints--1310 size
Spicer: 760x
NAPA:
______:
______:

Additions would be very welcome to this incomplete list. Lets keep it stock PNs and if applicable, specify size/application/fitment i.e. early axle ujoints vs larger later axle ujoints

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this post!

I just purchased a 96 2 door sport 4.0 H.O 5 speed that was a one owner. It's been sitting for awhile so I'm in the process of getting all the maintenance up to date. Basically driving it daily and replacing whatever tears up next. Lol
My question is does anyone know how many of these were produced? That's what I was trying to find when I found this post. I see it list how many XJ's were produced in 96 and was just wondering if there was a breakdown of the number of 2 door with 5 speeds?
Thanks for any help..

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I don't think we have ever been able to acquire these numbers. :dunno:

·
Registered
739 Posts
There might be a registry some where. I know the vin can be decoded for some build info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the fast feed back! It was worth the search because now I've found this forum. I've already found the answers to many other questions I had. I was looking for a 5 speed for my son when I found the one I purchased. We found him a 97 4 door sport 5 speed with fewer miles (90K) so he purchased it. So we are both now in the early process of checking everything out and trying to decide on which direction to go with them. With the help of this forum I know it will make that process much easier...
So the journey begins!

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
Have your son join also. Then both of you start build threads. Perfect way to keep a diary of all your changes. I must have read mine a hundred times. :D

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Have your son join also. Then both of you start build threads. Perfect way to keep a diary of all your changes. I must have read mine a hundred times. :D
I use my thread as a timeline. I know when I installed something or when it broke because ive posted about it. And others can help or learn about your problems.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I use my thread as a timeline. I know when I installed something or when it broke because ive posted about it. And others can help or learn about your problems.

ditto. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
I have a list scrawled in the garage of when I did things, at least when I remember to write it down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love this. Can anyone tell me where to get a 53004379 vacuum harness for a 1987 Cherokee xj Chief? Or a work around. Mine came with the front crankcase opening with nothing in it. I am a newbie. The guy told me it needed a plug. I now know it needs a ccv part. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dee

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I am a little confused on this. The Cherokee Chief, the two door FSJ with factory fender flares and wider tires and wheels was last produced in 1983. I had one back in the day, and you could have the overhead cam six, which my mother ruined, or the 360 V8. Is this the vehicle you are talking about or are you talking about the XJ Cherokee?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I am a little confused on this. The Cherokee Chief, the two door FSJ with factory fender flares and wider tires and wheels was last produced in 1983. I had one back in the day, and you could have the overhead cam six, which my mother ruined, or the 360 V8. Is this the vehicle you are talking about or are you talking about the XJ Cherokee?
4.3, there were Chief packages early on in the XJ production.
http://davidsclassiccars.com/images/full/1987-jeep-cherokee-chief-sport-utility-original-3480-miles-garaged-show-new-1.jpg

41 - 60 of 60 Posts