Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the :devil:tailpipe hanger attached to the frame? I cannot tighten it up, OR get the bolt to come out. It rattles somtimes and drives me crazy!:brickwall:

Do the mounting bolts thread into a nutstrip, or are they self tappers? I'd buy a new hanger, but need to know how to get the old one off.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just buy i new one and mount it beside the old one

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know the nutstrips are gone. I removed them when I mounted up the Tomken rear bumper and removed the factory hitch. Is there a seperate nutstrip for the hanger? If there is, the threads are stripped out since I can't tighten it, or get it to come off.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
There is a flat nustrip in the frame rail for the rear hanger AND hitch. If you removed that nutstrip, then i do not know what is holding up the hanger.

This is what the nutstrips look like:

They are not that pretty usually, this is a before pix:

There's a good chance, if your nut strip is still there, that corrosion killed it and the bolt.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the nutstrip is gone since I had one hell of a time getting the bolts holding the factory hitch to come loose. Ended up just twisting them into submission.:D GOD was THAT a pain in the arse!!!

I guess maybe the strip broke off and left the end that the hanger bolts to.:confused: I REALLY don't want to have to remove the bumper to get the old hanger off. Maybe I can get a hacksaw blade, or a sawsall in there to just cut the bolts off.

·
Registered
642 Posts
4 1/2" Angle Grinder with a cut off wheel is my favorite tool :thumbsup:

As long as you get the hole cleared out, you can put a new one in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts