Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok... this isn't quite day one but i'm still a little new to this forum.. so!! these pictures are from today.. the first ones are about 9:30am and the last ones are around noon today.. solid amount of progress i'd say :cheers:

THE PLAN:
* Completely XNAY the UNIBODY chassis
* Build an entire new floor, WITH BODY MOUNTS :D
* Front 3 link w/ track bar
* Rear Double Triangulated 4 Link
* Small Block Chevy V8
* TH400 automatic trans
* Ford 205 Twin Sticks
* Dana 60 Front
* Corporate 14 Bolt Rear
* 39" IROKs
* and maybe some fuzzy dice or chrome spinners lol

Okay.. First half of day ones progress..

BEFORE

BEOFRE

BEFORE

BEFORE

BEFORE

GOT MOST OF THE FLOOR CUT OUT FOR EASIER DRIVETRAIN REMOVAL.. KINDA TOUGH WITH OUT A LIFT AND I'M MAKIN A MEW FLOOR ANYWAYS

GOT THE REAR DOORS OFF, BACK QUARTER GLASS OUT, REAR HATCH OFF, ALL THE WIRING STRIPPED OUT, AND PROBABLY SOMETHIN ELSE THIS PICTURE SHOWS..

WELDING TEACHER JAMES SANDERSON... IS A BAD ASS FOR SURE..

AND CHOP TOP BABY

OTHER SIDE... NOT DONE YET JUST GOT THE MAJORITY OF IT OFF.. STILL HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF CUTTING TO DO..

BUT.. SOLID START ON WHAT COULD BE A VERY STRETCHED OUT BUILD LOL

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm anxious to see where this one goes...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
=) Thanks guys!! well got a little more done in my afternoon fab class.. got the rear end cut out and the stands ill be using to wheel it around on all made and welded on there.. the casters on yet in these pictures but just imagine them there lol..

Here we are.. 1pm - 4pm Day 1

STARTED THE DAY OFF RIGHT BY DRAWIN' A LIL BLOOD, LOL

DRIVER SIDE TEMPORARY CASTER MOUNT.. DONT GIVE ANY CRAP ABOUT THE WELDS LOL I WAS STICKIN 1/8' TO RUSTED OUT 18G

AXEL IS OUT =)

AND THE PASSENGER SIDE CASTER MOUNT..

Well I have one more fab class tonight from 6-9pm so ill post up what all i got done in that lil sess..

as for the cheromachee.... i just really like the chop top look, i dont plan on finishing it all in with glass and the fancy custom body work because i plan on putting my radiator back there and with that all closed in, could get a lil toasty.. but i dunno, ill make it look nice and right with some cool tube work..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you.. i think tonight im going to finish up my caster set up to keep it mobile.. start cutting the frame out from the transmission crossmember back.. i got ahold of some 2"x4"x1/8" wall square tubing which atta be plenty strong enough for the frame rails..

I also went with the 1/8" wall over 3/16" wall because the 1/8 wall was almost 3lbs lighter per foot..

Im on the fence about doing a rear dovetail?? whata you guys think??? suckin those tail lights together to about 3 feet apart..

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
i think this is going to be a nice build! im taking a fab/welding class next year. couldnt this year because freshmen arnt aloud to go to the career center i hope i can to some work to it there. that way it will go back and forth from dads shop to there lol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yellow troll hair......... lol im 6' 4" tall.. the hairy head liner would piss me off lol..

as for the existing uni body.. its slowly being cut off with a plasma cutter =p but ill probably cut it all up and give it to my welding teacher, he buys tons of stuff for the program with scrap metal money..

for the cheromanchee... i want it all open to the back seat area because that is where my radiator will be.. i might take a manchee tail gate though..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alrighty.. just got back from my night fab class... didnt get as far as i wanted too on account of selling stuff of the project lol..

But i got the uni-frame cut off from the rear bumper up to the front leaf hanger.. I think day 2 and 3 will be taking apart the front uni-body **fenders, nose peice, hood,** and i might start strippin the small stuff outa the way and get the motor ready to lift out..

i took some pictures with my phone and sent them to my email but it would let me save them to my computer... so.... no pictures till tomorrow night.. sorry.. it looks sweet though

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well.. another half day has passed.. today isn't one of the days where i have welding all day long so, had english the smornin, got that outa the way and went straight to the shop to work on the XJ..

I got the hood, the fenders, the front nose peice all taken off.. I got the radiator and all the hoses drained and taken off.. I got most of the wiring harness peeled off the motor, so..... PLAN for 2:30-4pm and 6-9pm get the rest of the wiring harness off, get the tranny cross member off all the tranny lines and electrical stuff that goes down there taken off, then finally pull the motor mounts and lift the motor, tranny, and t-case out!!! Depending on time... I might be able to get the front caster mounts built and maybe welded on..

Pictures to follow..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alrighty.. back tracking a little bit with this post... here are the pictures from LAST NIGHTs fab class... I started cutting away at the UNIBODY

I only had an hour to work on the thing last and didnt get as much cut off as i'd of liked to but... its movin' along pretty good as it is..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now for TODAY!!!!! Very very productive day it was... Now today being the day that i do not have welding all day long, i was interrupted by my other regular boring classes and football.. but i got in there from like 10-12, 2-3, and 6-9 and managed to get the motor, tranny, and t-case completely pulled, the front end taken out, and the engine compartment pretty well stripped and prepped for the plasma torch tomorrow morning.. =)

Heres some pictures..

Buddy Mike, helped me finness that long drink of water outa that hole.. and welding instructor James to follow..

the two piece version of the XJ =)

Engine Compartment..

Driver side... THAT WONT BE THERE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!

last but not least... The heart of most every XJ.. who wants to buy it haha

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is honestly the first time I have ever seen somebody do this even on the internet. You defiantly need to keep us updated.
No worries, Nither have I seen ANYTHING even close to a build like this... just wait till you see my plans for the body mounts!!

1 - 20 of 371 Posts