Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of u guys are running 4.5-5" of lift w/ just a tc drop and are fine? i know every xj is diffrent, just getting an idea. heres my situation

right now im on a 3in RC lift and 31's. No vibes yet

Getting a good deal on some 33" procomps next weekend.

now i have 500 to play with to lift my xj another inch or two.

I really want to go another 2" so that would put me at 5" and get a tc drop and see whats up then but im afriad of vibes and considering just another 1" and a Tc drop.

I will atleast be buying some new lower control arms, Adj. track bar, brake hoses.

Sorry if this seems to be confusing. my main question is, is there a possability i will be fine going up 2" with a tc drop of should i just go up an 1" and do a tc drop. I would go ahead and do a hack n tap but im limited on funds b/c of getting laid off here soon.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Well first, if you are getting laid off you shouldn't be spending your money on your jeep, lol.

Right now I am running about 5.5" of lift with just a tcase drop and I do get driveline vibes. I have a 93 and I am getting driveline vibes, so you should definitely not do it because you have a 98. Newer Xjs are more prone to driveline vibes.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Transfer drop case here. It was smooth until my front tires started scalloping. I had them balanced and moved to the back. I have vibrations now that I "believe" is due to the rear tires.

I'll be doing the SYE on my NP242 but I don't think the vibes will leave until the tires do.

I guess I need to do some burnouts. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right on. i think im going to try it out and run it with a transfer case drop for a little bit. if the slip yoke is out way far and the vibes are bad, ill do a hack n tap.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Get a set of Rough Country or Rock Krawler shackles. They are adjustable 1.5" or 2" it also changes your pinion angle a slight bit and that will help with vibs and will also help with the ride and flex.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have over 6" and mine is fine...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
right on. i think im going to try it out and run it with a transfer case drop for a little bit. if the slip yoke is out way far and the vibes are bad, ill do a hack n tap.
whats a hack n tap? where you change the angle the rear end sits? by cutting the leaf plates and re welding them?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Just a heads up, I wouldn't do any more lift with your current setup because newer XJs are more prone to driveline vibes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i know the 97^ are more prone to vibes then the older xj's. Like i said, i think im going to go ahead and do the +2 w/ a transfer case drop and see whats up. If its horrible ill just take the spacers and shackles back off until i get the loot for a hack n tap and a front xj drive shaft. Just got the 33's on today and i am going to have to go up another 2"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
def needs another 2in. rear is sagging in the pic a little due to my old tires still in the back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
u think so? looks kind of..... not right?? to me for some reason. once i take the tires out it will be fine. my old 31" treadwrights were f'n heavy!!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
:brickwall:
Get a set of Rough Country or Rock Krawler shackles. They are adjustable 1.5" or 2" it also changes your pinion angle a slight bit and that will help with vibs and will also help with the ride and flex.

This looks like the one's that came with with my RC 4.5" AAL kit.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
yeah i know the 97^ are more prone to vibes then the older xj's. Like i said, i think im going to go ahead and do the +2 w/ a transfer case drop and see whats up. If its horrible ill just take the spacers and shackles back off until i get the loot for a hack n tap and a front xj drive shaft. Just got the 33's on today and i am going to have to go up another 2"
you have a np231 tc so you dont need a hack and tap just a sye.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts