Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1121 - 1140 of 1188 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Can you explain? Do you mean a trackbar mount or the front section of of the unibody? Guess Im interested either way. I can send you something for it.

I’ll have to look at the pieces that I have. It’s the the drivers side of the the frame stiffener. I need the lower pieces but I think I’ve got the rest of it. I’m not home right now so I can’t look. I’ll be at school for 3 more weeks.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,122
Well have fun at school. learning anything good? Let me know what you have. Shipping from Texas to Iowa cant be that bad lol. PM me and we'll make a deal

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
I installed the steering stabilizer, found some new rust, welded the trackbar bracket, checked all the control arm bolts for tight, and reinstalled the exhaust pipe I fixed after it rusted off.

Then..............I DROVE IT. 60 miles or so on and off highway, with the trailer. Exactly how I like to do my Death Wobble testing: in the dark, with a trailer, at the last minute before a big trip.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126
That's ok, I'm going to end up plating the frame anyways. Dont worry about it. Thanks for the offer

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127
Pics of trackbar mount and exhaust pipe

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
So was the track bar the source of your death wobble? I found that mine would loosen up on me and I would get some drift/play in my steering. I have not gone to the extreme of welding mine in place because it is still the stock bracket. I tightened the bolts so far so good. Your repair on your muffler is quite a bit nicer than how I did mine. Nice!

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
I don't think the trackbar is to blame, but I feel much better about the bracket now. Just gives peace of mind and assures me I cant blame it later. Honestly I'm still a little uneasy just because I dont have a clear fault to chalk it up to.

And thanks on the exhaust. I've replaced that pipe 3 times and I'm tired of it.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,130
Living, breathing, drinking...

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,131
Well CRAP.

Yesterday it was driving great. Got back into town on my way home from work and stopped at a stop sign and it jumped down to idle speed and started missing. It ran like crap all the way home and around to a couple gas stations while I looked for better gas (had to fill up anyways). Got home, cleared codes. It had a pc301 (cyl 1 misfire) and was actively missing. Let it cool down, pulled the sparkplug, it looked fine but not good, so I swapped in a regapped and cleaned up old plug (in better shape than the current one) and it runs the same. I pulled #2 plug and it was identical, so I swapped it too just for giggles, and no change. Today Im getting a new coilpack rail on the way home and Im going to do a little dance and say my prayers cause I need this thing running in the morning.

Any suggestions besides shoving a borescope I dont have into the plug hole to look for coolant (which isn't leaking or going down anyways), or swapping injectors all around? Im afraid Ill tear the o-rings and at this late last minute timeline Im worried about replacements.

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
You put a lot of miles on your Jeep, have you cleaned the intake lately. My go to had always been Mopar combustion chamber cleaner. It's pricey, but it works.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,133
You put a lot of miles on your Jeep, have you cleaned the intake lately. My go to had always been Mopar combustion chamber cleaner. It's pricey, but it works.
Intake/TB have been cleaned. I haven't put any real miles on it daily for a few months, but when I do its highway and Im pushing hard. It sees 4000rpm frequently. Esp with the trailer.

Further examination shows that the sparkplugs are fine, and injector #1 isnt firing. Swapped in an old injector with no change. Now #5 is leaking cause of my screwing with it. And its all back together so it needs to come apart again. Do it once, do it twice right?

Options now are bad ECM?, busted wire?, connector?

Im exhausted and have been busting butt to get done with work and the jeep in time, along with 2 large christmas gifts. So Im currently browsing Enterprise for the 3rd time this year. #$#%$^&*(&^%[email protected]$

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
Get a noid light. plug it into the injector, make sure is getting a signal. Always oil your o-rings. Here is a wiring diagram for the injectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,135
I either missed this or forgot I saw it. Thanks gluck for the info.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
New used fuel rail from Arkansas, rebuilt 784 4-hole injectors (again), and new injector retaining clips are the recent collection of parts to help get me back up and running again.

FYI: For the injector retaining clips, also called "injector seal kit"..... DO NOT BUY THESE ONLINE, its not worth getting screwed over. Online places want $5-20 for a single clip or a pack (they make it very hard to tell). I gave my NAPA guy the Crown Auto part number and he crossed it and had the parts immediately. Before the PN he was clueless....BUT, a whole box of 12 clips cost me $4.50 roughly. So now I have an extra set.

·
Registered
927 Posts
How is that Durango steering box you put in holding up. Did you notice an improvement?

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,139
How is that Durango steering box you put in holding up. Did you notice an improvement?
It is an awesome improvement over stock. My box was a rebuild that I had to tighten up recently but that's totally dependent on where you get one or who rebuilds it. Now that I've tightened everything in my front end I hope it lasts longer, I have a line on another if I blow this one out though. Although that would require my jeep to be running and driving first...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Also I noticed when you first started your thread you used to have a budget lift on this XJ. How was that? How was the ride? Was it an improvement from stock? Was it worth using it for a while. I think I saw where you had the Rusty's 2 inch Budget Lift. Is that correct. How was the quality of the lift?

1121 - 1140 of 1188 Posts