Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1141 - 1160 of 1188 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Also I noticed when you first started your thread you used to have a budget lift on this XJ. How was that? How was the ride? Was it an improvement from stock? Was it worth using it for a while. I think I saw where you had the Rusty's 2 inch Budget Lift. Is that correct. How was the quality of the lift?

I’ve been running 2” pucks/extended shackles for a few years. Rides fine, not an improvement in ride quality but lets you run 31” tires so it’s an improvement in JEEP quality. You’re welcome to mine when I take hem off, which will be soon.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I’ve been running 2” pucks/extended shackles for a few years. Rides fine, not an improvement in ride quality but lets you run 31” tires so it’s an improvement in JEEP quality. You’re welcome to mine when I take hem off, which will be soon.
How much?

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,143
Also I noticed when you first started your thread you used to have a budget lift on this XJ. How was that? How was the ride? Was it an improvement from stock? Was it worth using it for a while. I think I saw where you had the Rusty's 2 inch Budget Lift. Is that correct. How was the quality of the lift?
This is one of those cases of "do as I say not as I do". Mine had 2" pucks and an aal in it when I got it but I didnt know that. I proceeded to add 2" more and ext shackles. Either way it's close to stock ride quality except control arm angles are worse and shackle angle is worse, meaning it rides a little rougher. I would skip that next time around and just get a little more complete kit with brake lines, shocks, etc

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
One thing to note, straight extended shackles resulted in pretty poor shackle angle = rougher ride, and after a few years that way my stock springs are frowning.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,145 (Edited)
Still running and driving. Don't want to jinx it though. Plan is to start rust removal soon. I will be needing tires too (in the next year?).......all that deathwobble wore em out pretty good.

To Do List:
-replace rear windshield wiper switch
-Rockers
-replace rear windshield spray pump
-purchase and install shackle relocators
-Still looking (not very hard) for engine swap options.
-frame stiffeners
-paint Jeep with Monstaliner
-

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146
Haven't accomplished anything in the previous post. In fact, aside from one trip in the fall, the jeep has sat outside being punished for its running like crap. Last weekend I got it inside again for better motivation to fix it. A couple weeks prior I opened the hood to button it up and start it to put it in, and it was being a little [email protected]#$% and took a chunk of my hand. "F$#% you, you can sit out until you behave and my hand heals up", I said. So this weekend it was still a pain, but with the belt off, a dead batt, and no power steering, she's inside.
New To-Do list:
-replace or fix alternator (upgrade obviously)
-new cables with that?
-replace the PS pulley I busted when I was messing with it
-replace waterpump that has been squeaking (already bought one months ago)
-research and purchase a compression tester to find out if my engine is shot, or why cylinder #1 is not firing.

As for cyl #1, it has fuel and spark. No question about it. But its missing. Im hoping valve(s), but a head is the fear. If I have to buy a new head, I may just stroke the whole damn motor since I can't afford to swap a diesel in right now. I kinda want to get it on the road, and I kinda want to get it done right.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,147
Pulled the e-fan, coil rail, and plugs last night in prep for a compression test. I need to buy a tester first. Ive been talking with friends and shopping for months now, so I just need to pull the trigger.

I was a little surprised by how bad the plugs looked. They were definitely not that bad last time I pulled them, but the only recent run-time was the puttering and sputtering as I maneuvered into the garage. So Im sure that didn't help. They have close to 80,000+ miles on them, so Im going to replace them this time around. I know they work, but every little bit helps.

Probably going to buy the OTC brand compression tester and leakdown tester, so if you have heard anything bad about them, speak now please.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
I've always heard good things about OTC tools.
What is the gap on those plugs? some look pretty worn. Time for some new ones.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Only buy the OTC Leak Down Tester if you are buying the OTC Compression Tester.
So sorry for the crappy pictures and hopefully I will explain this good.
So I bought the OTC Leak Down Tester a few years ago. No reason to think I had a problem was just curious about my Jeep.
Anyway so you use the 14mm fitting. Here is the thing I for the life of me could not get the 14mm to catch and screw in.
At first I thought it was me. Trying to get at just the right angle etc.
I have 2 TUPY heads in "stock" and tried it on a bench and still could not.
So I contacted OTC, awesome customer service by the way, and they sent out another hose thinking that was the problem.
It was not. Finally realized that the threaded part was to short.
So poking around trying to figure out how to do this test I noticed that their Compression Tester had 2 14mm hoses.
One threaded part longer then the other. So I called them back and told them what I thought the problem was. Asked if I could get just
the hose with the longer threaded part from the compression tester. Now I own a cheaper GearWrench one. Jokingly said if
you give me a deal I will buy it cause I have no problem with upgrading. That was pretty much the end of the conversation.
Well I figured they were just going to send me the hose. Boy was I wrong. They sent me the whole Compression Tester.
For free if that is not clear. LOL.
Now here is the thing. I have not done the leak down test but checked and the hose with the longer threaded part does screw in.
Since all their stuff attaches with air line fittings they will work together. But the hose from the Compression Tester is half the length of
of the hose from the Leak Down Tester. I don't see it being a problem though. But as I said I have not tried.
So the first picture is the Leak Down Tester with the shorter threaded part. Second shot is the 2 hoses from the Compression tester.
The shorter threaded part on the Compression Tester being the same length as the Leak Down tester.
DSCN1157.JPG
DSCN1158.JPG

·
Registered
814 Posts
Forgot to ask.
Is that an actual 80K on the plugs?
Cause if it is with the wasted spark thing wouldn't that make it more like 160K?
On what looks like 30K Champion Copper Tops. LOL.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,152
Yeah, I think it may be an actual 80,000 on the plugs. I think we changed the plugs when I bought the jeep, Im not sure when I changed them again later. If I did, they still probably have 50,000 lol. And yeah, good ole Champion Coppers.

Thanks for the info on the testers Ralph! That sounds like pretty important info for a customer to know.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I want to say that I bought the Leak Down Tester and my Oil Pressure Tester, also OTC, from tooldiscounter.com.
Even with shipping at the time is was the cheapest price I could find on them.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Something else just popped into my head.
There is an outside chance they fixed the issue with the Leak Down Tester.
All it would take is a 14mm adapter with longer thread like the 10, 12, and 18mm adapters that come with the tester.
I doubt they did but you never know.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,155
Tooldiscounter is definitely the cheapest, good catch. I almost dropped $73+82 on amazon. $59+69+14shipping is a bit better.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have bought a few things from them.
My Stant Coolant Pressure Tester and my Lang 48 piece Thread Restorer on top of the OTC Tools I bought from them.
Funny too cause they had this really cheesy website. To the point where somebody on another forum asked if they were legit.
Having already done business with them assured them it was on the up and up.
It is so much more professional looking now then it used to be. LOL.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,157
Well, I got the tools the other day, and it should be noted in reference to Ralph's warning, that the deluxe kit I bought has a long-thread 14mm hose, a short-thread 14mm hose, and a short-thread 14mm straight tube. If you try hard enough, the short-thread will work, but it's a pain. The leak down kit has a long-thread 14mm longer hose, but it was so coiled that it was impossible to hold straight and thread into anything.

Initial results: jeep was cold, no oil added to cylinders
Cyl 1: 70 30 50 60. Yikes
Cyl 2: 157 156
Cyl 3: 132 132
Cyl 4: 150 149
Cyl 5: 150 150
Cyl 6: 140 140

Order of testing was 3, 2, 1, 4, 5, 6

Next up is a wet test. Oil added to each cyl to verify top or bottom end issues. Trying not to panic, but a stoker may be in my future.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,158
Last night I ran a wet test on compression and cylinders 2-6 all went up in PSI as expected. Cylinder #1 however (my problem cylinder) did not. It remained wildly low and varying in pressure. So.....this tells me that my issue is in the top end, not the block, which I expected, but it also lets me breathe a little easier. We know that it is most likely an issue in the valves, with the slim possibility of a camshaft lobe being ground off.
This is my original motor at 190,302 miles. I bought it at 106,xxx. So this jeep has close to 80,000miles of highway driving on it since I bought it, and its been run hard for that. A valve job is pretty much expected at this point. I pulled the valve cover after the test, and inside the cover is spotless. As for the rockers, I don't see anything crazy, and after rotating the engine over with a ratchet, I didn't notice anything either. So now I need to do some reading and start dismantling more of it. Good times in GrainBeltGarage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
Do both push rods spin easy? do the vavlves open and close when you rotate the crank? I have actually started mine with the valve cover off and watched the oil come up through the rods and seen the valves move. pretty neat. it will splash a little oil around so lay some towels around the out side. don't rev it up, cause I ain't responsible for the aftermath.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,160
Ta da!
Tried to post a video but it didn't work, so you'll have to settle for pics of the bent valve I found.

Attachments

1141 - 1160 of 1188 Posts