Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1161 - 1180 of 1198 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,161
Pulling the head tonight I hope. Then when I can see everything I'll start ordering parts. Kinda wish I was 2 weeks sooner, but Im sure itll work out ok, even with the crazy in the world.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,162
Head has been removed and it appears that the headgasket was very much intact still. Confirmation of my beliefs. Cyl 1 didn't look all that different from some of the others, but pics are in order of cyl 1-6 if you care. Nearly crapped myself pulling that off alone without beating it up. No engine hoist, no buddy to pass it off to, just my skinny ass up in the bay with that thing in my lap. And next time Ill remember to lower the coolant levels enough I don't fill all the cylinders.... oh well, mopped it out so it can dry and I will check the oil later. Nothing drastic or surprising under there.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
Pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,164
This morning I ordered a Clearwater Cylinder Heads' new 0331 revised head. $545 and I send the old one back with an included shipping label.

Also ordered Fel-Pro head bolts and a full gasket set from Amazon (only because I had giftcards that made it cheaper than Summit Racing), along with a mopar ps pump pulley.

Subtotal of the day was $545+132= $677
Total= $591 I feel ok. Good thing Im still working in this Coronacrisis.

Yesterday I swung through my NAPA and grabbed oil, filters, plugs, a rear main seal, and a PS pump pulley that I will be returning since its a dorman and not a mopar, and it cost $15 more than the amazon one. Another bunch of money but all the stuff will be used.

Can I call this panic-buying since we're in this crisis? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,165
Just for documentation purposes, crossposting with the "what did you do today" thread:
I bought the head stands off Craigslist. $25/ for 2 pair of BluePoint stands. Can always flip em for more...

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
Better check your other post, I think you said you paid $2. Still pretty cheap.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,167
I already fixed it! lol

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,168
New cylinder head was on the porch steps today. ClearwaterCylinderHeads in Florida is the company. Head looks pretty good and feels heavier, but I need to blow it out and check everything carefully. I found some machining trash. $545 to my door and I need to send the old one back. It has new valves installed and is ready to go once I slap my rockers on.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
Engine degreaser and aluminum brightener didn't do a damn thing to this. Time to step it up. Bead blast?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
If you have access to it a blaster, I would try walnut shells. Then black beauty.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,172
I have a glass bead cabinet

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,174
Had a family meeting the other day where I had time to start scrubbing at the intake. Grabbed a drill and a wirewheel brush, and poked at it while everyone talked. It started cleaning up real quick that way, so I'll probably scrub all that I can that way, and try to blast the nooks and crannies after that.

Also, talking with a friend yesterday, I realized I should order manifold bolts. Gaskets came yesterday so I will need to get surfaces cleaned up and prepped for reassembly. Still wanting to replace my exhaust manifold but not sure I like my options. Scared to try a header and have it fail in a few months or a year. Im also worried about how one would fit to the rest of my exhaust. Best plan is probably to try and clean up the stock one and if I find an issue, order new. Would be nice to ditch those front precats though...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,175
For anyone paying attention, here's the craziness that is 2001 exhaust downpipes. Napa California exhaust, napa regular, and amazon same part. Holy crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Like wow.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
I paid pretty much the Amazon price for the one on my '00 from Napa. Sure you guys can guess why. LOL.
The true CA Emissions version, the first screen shot, does come with a much better warranty though.
The second one is for the CA Emissions Jeeps not registered in CA or NY.
With the stock 2 piece exhaust manifolds on your Jeep I doubt you are going to find any problems with them.
You read about '99 and down ones cracking but I have never read about any issues with the '00's and '01's
Of course it does appear in the '99 and down ones the problem results from poor motor and tranny mounts
more often then not.
I have researched all sorts of ways to get rid of the precats. Some '00's did come with Federal Emissions.
I happen to come across one in the boneyard and best I can tell besides the exhaust the only other differences are
the PCM and one of the 2 wiring harnesses in the engine compartment. The one that has the fuel injector connectors on it.
So I grabbed the harness and PCM thinking one day I might try something.
They use this pipe in place of the cat.

The upstream O2 Sensor goes in the down/intermediate pipe and the down stream one goes behind that rear cat where you don't have one now.
Which means the rear cat is different cause I don't know about yours but mine did not have a bung for an O2 sensor.
And I doubt the factory down pipe has one either. New Walker parts do have the bungs, plugged with a bolt, where you need them though.
I know this cause a P0432 awhile back was due to the front dual cat. And I needed a new muffler and tail pipe. So I just said screw it and
replaced the whole exhaust.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,179
If I remember right, I do have a 5th o2 sensor farther back somewhere. I can't remember if its by the cat or in the "front pipe".

Ralph, where did you buy your O2 sensors? The fact that I need 4 of them has me hunting for deals. Are they all the same part numbers or is it split 2 and 2? Man I'd like to use that downpipe you linked, Im curious to know if the PCM could handle it if I welded bungs in and put the factory o2 sensors in so the only real change would be the lack of cats.

Current plan (subject to change every couple minutes) is to go home today and start wirebrushing the manifolds/downpipe so see what I find. New o2 sensors are needed, and I guess Ill find out if I have to get a new pipe or not.

I found the manifold bolt kit I need, and managed to move the intake locating dowels from the old head to the new one. O'reillys and Napa got me the valve cover hardware/grommets so the to-do list is getting simpler:

-wirebrush exhaust parts
-order new or use old
-replace o2 sensors
-assemble valve cover
-clean block and piston surfaces
-finish cleaning intake manifold
-begin reassembly of engine
-replace PS pump pulley
-replace waterpump
-ship old head to florida for core

·
Registered
823 Posts
For starters pretty sure you only have 4.
One in each of the 2 piece exhaust manifolds, upstream, and 2 in the front dual cat belows the cats, downstream.
In a Federal Emissions '00 the O2 Sensors in the exhaust manifolds are not there and plugged with a bolt.
The "Y" piped I linked has none. Connects to the intermediate/down pipe.

Look closely at the picture on the left of it and see that bolt underneath.
That end connects to the "Y" pipe and where your upstream O2 sensor is.
That connects to the the cat.
This is Walker 16117.

Now the don't show you where the downstream O2 sensor would be in the picture at that link.
But I grabbed a shot that did show it off the internet. See below.
The end with the bolt plugging he hole is the end that connects to the front of the muffler.

Now that I explained how I am pretty sure that is all set up on to what I think is your question.
The upstream O2 sensors you don't touch. You want to weld in a bung in the each leg of the "Y" pipe
for the downstream O2 sensors.
I don't see how that could work. I know people say that downstream O2 sensors basically just monitor things but
have to assume that cause there is not a cat there would throw a code.
But I don't know for sure.

And the wiring is too short to reach the back of the Walker cat I linked above. Plus guessing that is where you
have to weld in the second bung hole for the second O2 sensor.
Now you have to extend wiring. Which I am thinking is not a good thing cause maybe the extra length creates more resistence.
Which might give weird readings. Which might throw a CEL.
And again I don't know for sure.

Why when the Federal Emissions '00 showed up at the boneyard I scoffed what I did. And still not sure it would work.
Or pass. Cause think of it this way. Even though I don't live in a state that goes by CA Emissions my Jeep is a CA Emissions one.
I believe the VIN to be in the PCM. If so they won't match. Pretty sure they hook up through the OBDII port to do emissions.
Now here is the thing where I live. In 2025 my Jeep will be exempt from emission testing so........... LOL.

Last thing. NTK's from Napa.

23099 Downstream;Cylinders 4,5,6;Bank 2 Sensor 2;Calif. Emissions; Downstream;Bank 1 Sensor 2;Federal Emissions
23506 Upstream;Bank 1 Sensor 1;Federal Emissions; Upstream;Cylinders 4,5,6;Bank 2 Sensor 1;Calif. Emissions
23151 Upstream;Cylinders 1,2,3;Bank 1 Sensor 1;Calif. Emissions
23110 Downstream;Cylinders 1,2,3;Bank 1 Sensor 2;Calif. Emissions

As you can see 2 out of the 4 O2 sensors are both CA or Federal Emissions.
I bought mine from Napa but again......
Thinking RockAuto, don't forget to see if that 5% promo code is still around.
Or Amazon cause with free shipping from them it might work out to about the same as RockAuto with shipping.
Cat.PNG

1161 - 1180 of 1198 Posts