Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1181 - 1198 of 1198 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,181
Ralph, I was following along pretty well til your last reply I think. Let me clarify what I am curious on (but probably won't try).
Stock manifolds, replace the stock front-cat downpipe with the Walker cat-less pipe, and weld the required bungs in place for factory o2 sensors (in similar locations where wires would still reach), and see what happens. No pcm swap, no sensor elimination, no wiring harness change, just a downpipe change. I wonder if the pcm has the bandwith to correct air/fuel levels to make it work. Probably not, but Im just guessing. I live in Iowa, we don't give a flying [email protected]#$ about emissions except on new farm machinery and diesel trucks (because its federal). I don't have any yearly emissions testing or anything like that.

Thanks for the info on the sensors, I'll check with NAPA today maybe.

·
Registered
824 Posts
No I got that part when I said thinking you wanted to weld in a bung hole in each leg of the "Y" pipe around where it is on the dual front cat.
Thing is I am assuming that the downstream O2 sensors monitor the cats. But there are no cats so I expect you to get a CEL.
Because the downstream O2 sensor think the cats are not doing their job. Not realizing that they are not there just not doing there job.
And I have to assume that this would effect how the Jeep runs.

As far as pricing goes Napa is probably not your best bet.

I just picked one of the 4 for an example but it is like half the price at Rockauto.
Even with shipping still much cheaper.
Again I work there so not so bad and also even though betting I paid more then Rockauto
if and when a part is defective is nothing for me to warranty it.
Not that any of them were. I replaced all 4 about 4 years ago I think.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,183
Amazon it is then. I don't do rockauto, its not worth the pain of ordering.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Oh and do me a favor.
Double check all the part numbers I posted.
I had my '00 for the application on my screen at the Napa site.
Where I got those part numbers and descriptions from.
Most likely right because IMO a '00 CA Emissions XJ is the same as any '01.
But........ LOL.

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
The upstream sensors are read by the PCM and control air/fuel ratio (aka MPG). The downstream (after the cats) are only a measurement of the amount of NOx in the exhaust, which determines if your cats are indeed working. They won't impact mileage at all, but will turn on the CEL if the readings are out of range, or the cats don't exist. :)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,186
Got O2 part numbers at napa, but they were double the cost of the internet, so Ill save myself the ~90 dollars or more and get them online. Yikes.
Gonna get my hardware kit online too, so hopefully itll all come together.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,187
Just around $170 later, the 4 O2 sensors should be coming from Amazon split between two dealers so I can gettem here within reason. Ouch, but not as ouch as if I had got em from napa...lol. Hate to leave my local parts stores out in the cold like this, but saving 170 is worth it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just around $170 later, the 4 O2 sensors should be coming from Amazon split between two dealers so I can gettem here within reason. Ouch, but not as ouch as if I had got em from napa...lol. Hate to leave my local parts stores out in the cold like this, but saving 170 is worth it.
I am with you on that. I got curious and went into my files. Put mine in of the summer of 2015. With sales tax paid $163 for all 4. And I did buy the part numbers I posted.
I did not even shop around so I guess going by what you paid I did not do to bad.
I try to remain loyal to my store but...
For instance. When I swapped over to synthetic in my diffs I used Valvoline VV975. Buying locally from a big box store with a promo code
saved me almost $20. When I bought the AVS rain and bug guards between a promo code and rebate saved $30 buying locally from a big box store then what I would have paid
through my store.
Valvoline oil is Valvoline oil. Does not matter where I buy it.
Now when it comes to brake parts, front end parts, and certain other items I buy Napa. The better stuff though. Don't price around just buy it.
When I needed a starter I bought a brand new one, not remanned, through the store. Cost me over $135. I am sure I could have done better elsewhere.
Here is the thing. It has a lifetime warranty. If and when it becomes a problem it is really not a problem. Yank it off, defect it, exchange it for another one, and slap it in.
Easy peasy.
If I had bought it online, even if it had a lifetime warranty, how do you deal with it?
Really have no desire to find out what kind of hoops I would have to jump through to exchange it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,189
The weekend was productive. Just a nice couple days in the garage working on my stuff. No pressure, nowhere to be, no one to deal with but myself. I got the downpipe and manifold cleaned up and didn't see any cracks. I tightened up the loose clamps holding them together, and I managed to get the intake cleaned and clearcoated with high temp clear. Tomorrow I will pickup some hardware for the valve cover since buying a hardware kit for that is like pulling teeth. Its just 1/4"-20 flange-head bolts and I will wirebrush the studs to reuse them. Waiting on a rubber piece for my air intake, a manifold hardware kit, and the o2 sensors.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,191
Stripped and cleaned and blasted and clear coated the throttle body tonight, for no better explanation than I'm an idiot. Wasted time and effort. It still looks bad, I broke a screw in the butterfly, and probably trashed the bearings in the process even though I took care to protect them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,192
Primed and painted the exhaust last night with high temp stuff. Instagram comments are betting it lasts from 2 days, to "time will tell". Oh well, I did it anyways. Still looking for that butterfly valve screw for the TB. Menards wasn't even close in the hardware dept.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Primed and painted the exhaust last night with high temp stuff. Instagram comments are betting it lasts from 2 days, to "time will tell". Oh well, I did it anyways. Still looking for that butterfly valve screw for the TB. Menards wasn't even close in the hardware dept.
Mine did not. But I blame mine more on user error.
I used the POR 15 high temp stuff.
It has been getting "sandblasted" off there since day one.
I just hit the outsides with some brake cleaner, water, let dry, and paint.
I probably should have scuffed up the outside a bit.
I did inside the tail pipe. With the little flexible hose that comes with the Eastwood Internal frame coating.
Hopefully to keep it from rusting out from the inside.
I would have done the inside of the down/intermediary pipe too but my thinking was if it flakes off then it will just get blown into the rear cat.
Another thing I did, cause I have a lifetime warranty on my muffler was use one of those band clamps for the tail pipe instead of a traditional one.

My thinking being if the tail pipe does rot out and the muffler is OK maybe I can separate the 2 seeing how that clamp does not crush the pipes like a traditional one.
Probably not though. LOL. IMG_0385.JPG

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,194
Oops, I didn't add my pics. By exhaust I meant only the downpipe we have been discussing. The rest will remain as is. I can't remember the lifespan of my exhaust but the walker pipes I keep replacing are junk. Ive replaced each (with the exception of the muffler and cat) at least twice. Not worth coating them. Added pics to previous post.

Ralph, Im guessing POR stuff would be better than my rustoleom rattlecans of high temp paint. I wirewheeled the pipes, but there was still some baked on dirt in spots that I just painted over. I don't have high hopes for it lasting anyways.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would not be so sure about the POR 15 stuff.
We do what we can and it is what it is.
No matter I much I POR 15 things, sand and refinish things, Fluid Film things, etc as the saying goes "rust never sleeps".
I would love to call all the things I do my "rust prevention" program
But being realistic I refer to it as my "rust retardation" program. LOL.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,196
New sensors installed and got my manifold bolt hardware. Need to blast the special washers from the old hardware and good to go. Last thing is the little screw for the TB and making a couple head alignment studs from old headbolts

Attachments

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,197
Cleaning today and prepping hardware. I managed to acquire new bolts for the remaining stuff this morning too.

Attachments

1181 - 1198 of 1198 Posts