Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1221 - 1240 of 1268 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,221
Too late Ralph, I got a stock one at napa today when getting my ps pump.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
How much did the new wiring set you back? If you don't mind?

They look like quality welding cables.. 2ga? 0ga?

Liking the manifold for the air too.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,223
How much did the new wiring set you back? If you don't mind?

They look like quality welding cables.. 2ga? 0ga?

Liking the manifold for the air too.
The OBA manifold is like 5 bucks on amazon or ebay. Nothing fancy.

The new upgraded cables is a $105 kit from Ksuspension. You can buy it from DirtBound too but then you have to pay shipping. I wanted to use Mean Lemons, but he isn't publicly building anymore and honestly I couldn't justify the difference in cost. I didn't even look at jeepcables.com because their site is risky according to my work computer. I may have checked cost later and found them more expensive. I do have some minor complaints about the ksuspension kit, but its a good set of cables really. They are 2ga. I wish they had done a little better picking ends with correct sized holes in them for the piece they attach to. And a couple with 90deg bent terminals like factory wouldn't hurt. I bent one and tore the heatshrink so I didn't do anymore. Im just peeved because I underestimated the scope of the project. It took me close to 8hours to do because I had some rusty fasteners and had to tear my inner fender out (still havent put it back). Routing the cables wasn't fun either lol. Maybe I just made it harder than it needed to be but I wanted things in the right places.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The OBA manifold is like 5 bucks on amazon or ebay. Nothing fancy.

The new upgraded cables is a $105 kit from Ksuspension. You can buy it from DirtBound too but then you have to pay shipping. I wanted to use Mean Lemons, but he isn't publicly building anymore and honestly I couldn't justify the difference in cost. I didn't even look at jeepcables.com because their site is risky according to my work computer. I may have checked cost later and found them more expensive. I do have some minor complaints about the ksuspension kit, but its a good set of cables really. They are 2ga. I wish they had done a little better picking ends with correct sized holes in them for the piece they attach to. And a couple with 90deg bent terminals like factory wouldn't hurt. I bent one and tore the heatshrink so I didn't do anymore. Im just peeved because I underestimated the scope of the project. It took me close to 8hours to do because I had some rusty fasteners and had to tear my inner fender out (still havent put it back). Routing the cables wasn't fun either lol. Maybe I just made it harder than it needed to be but I wanted things in the right places.
That is one of the reasons I made my own. I am tight with a boneyard that is a customer of the store. I raided a '99 for the battery cables. No charge. Used it as a guide.
Plus I have the rebuilt upped amps alternator not in the Jeep yet so I knew what size that stud was. I have my old starter that crapped out years ago, remember I never throw out anything (LOL), so I was able to determine size of the hole I wanted in the lug. Bought a new starter so there was no core charge.
Figured out where 45 and 90 degree ones would help. Etc.
I spent a lot of time doing it. But I am never in a hurry. Plus I figured the lugs needed to be "clocked" properly at either end.
So I would get what I thought was a good measurement. Crimp on one lug. Run the cable where I wanted it. Double check my length and figure out how the lug needed to be "clocked" on that end.
Thinking with 2 gauge you can only twist so much if they are not "clocked" right.
In hindsight I should have used a 45 degree at the starter. It is a little tight clearing a socket in there to get at the nut.
Not bad but.......
And never removed the old cables. They are zip tied in there. Figured I would run with the new cables for a bit and if everything worked out get to putting in the bigger alt and remove the old cables too.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,225 (Edited)
Last night I picked up my warranty PS pump from NAPA, and the pulley I ordered weeks ago and returned because I didn't trust it (it looks different and was made differently that all the others Ive seen). I hurried home to slap it together and on the jeep and I busted the back casting on the pump trying to get the pulley on. WAAAAAYY too tight. Something wasn't right. Of course NAPA had to order that in for me, so they didn't have anything. I ran back to town to Oreillys and grabbed a pump and a [correct] pulley. I had to eat $70 or so but oh well, I broke it, so its on me. I ran to NAPA and had a little show-n-tell session, returned their weird pulley, and went home. I want to go wheeling this weekend so I am on a deadline to get some initial driving and testing done before I trust it to go wheeling 2hrs from home. Cant wait all week for a new pump from Napa, although I feel a little bad about going elsewhere when I got that stuff there originally.
Anyhow, run home, slap new pump (#3) and pulley (#3) together and on the Jeep, did a really bad job of flushing the system and dumped in some ATF+4 and did a quick bleed before checking level and driving around the block and around town. First stop was the gas pump for some fresh 91octane.
So tonight I need to do some highway driving and see if I can find where the almost-DeathWobble is coming from. Probably my bad tires. Could also be a hub, but I don't really think so.

Engine appears to be running great. It now has a new alternator and cables, new waterpump, new PS pump, and new head/gaskets/etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
It took me close to 8hours to do because I had some rusty fasteners and had to tear my inner fender out (still havent put it back). Routing the cables wasn't fun either lol. Maybe I just made it harder than it needed to be but I wanted things in the right places.
If you do it right the first time you don't have to go back and fix it.

Engine appears to be running great. It now has a new alternator and cables, new waterpump, new PS pump, and new head/gaskets/etc.
Nice! A few more things off the list.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,227
Yeah, I might lose my shit if something else happens to the motor in the near future.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,228
Gravel travel.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,229
Jeep has been running pretty good the last few days. Last night I installed my new pigtail for the alt sensing wires on the back of the alternator. I broke the old clip so it was just staying plugged in via magic. Now its secure.

Planning on going wheeling this weekend and I'm a little nervous. I haven't truly wheeled with my lockers yet so that will be awesome I think. Engine is running good, but other parts have been sitting til now, and I've got enough rust I worry about damaging more than I want to. There is an awful lot of metal that will be getting cut out very very soon. Immediately upon returning from this trip it gets a thorough wash/blast, and then up comes the carpet and out come the seats for passenger floor patching. Then I deal with the rockers/doorbottoms. I think this Hooligan kit I found the other day is a good starting point.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Be gentle on the skinny pedal, with lockers you won't need as much, trust me. With any luck you'll "make it look easy" . ;)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,231
Definitely needed the skinny pedal for a couple spots, but really its was a low-rpm day. Thanks Gluck!

A couple friends and I met at 7am (kinda) and headed 1.5-2hr south to MIOBI. Its a private piece of land in southern Iowa called "Make It Or Break It Offroad". Good people, all the local clubs use it and the owner is a good guy. We had a total of maybe a dozen rigs Saturday and it included everything from my XJ on 31s and an almost stock YJ on 31s, clear up to total trail rigs on 42" tractor tires. My biggest problems throughout the day were ground clearance in the ruts on the trails and rubbing on my fenders. I need to either bumpstop more or trim them (more on that further down). Jeep performed great, and the engine ran great all day until we were prepping to leave and I left it idling for longer than I wanted and it threw a cyl 4 misfire code and set of the check engine light. It wasn't missing while I was looking at it, so I cleared the code and it ran fine all the way home. The drive home was a little slower, but not too slow, and I had a bad case of the shakes thanks to all the mud in my wheels, brakes, etc. I have a little wobble without the mud so I was worried but we made it just fine, and I managed to keep up with my friends in their Cummins truck towing their TJ on a trailer.

The weather was beautiful and the land drier than normal, which is good, because its all old quarry and very hilly so when it rains a little it gets bad down there. We wheeled all morning and part of the afternoon until my friends TJ on 40s ripped the upper trackbar mount out of the frame. He loaded up and ran a few miles to a guys place and welded it up and came back and we wheeled awhile more. All in all, I had to be pulled out twice in deeply rutted mudholes, but I kept up with the big dogs all day. Awning stayed on the roof rack all day too, I had guys asking if I was taking it off for the trails. There was a Yota suv with 35s (sitting low still though) with an RTT and full rack. He was probably the closest thing there to my Jeep. He did fine.

The Jeep ripped a flare off the front driver side and my passenger one is barely hanging on since I had it off for work recently and broke mounts. So maybe I should trim and upgrade? Or bumpstop and replace the mounting hardware? My rotted rockers opened up some more too. But oh well, they get cut out in a couple weeks I think. I am ordering the Hooligan kit today possibly.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looks like a fun day.

Hey the tail light guards you have.
Any idea of they are real Mopar ones?
I have what looks like the same on my Jeep and think they are but
could never confirm one way or the other.

As far as fender flares go do you know that they only real way to put them back on
properly is to take off the brackets?
Problem is you almost always snap at least a couple studs.
Did figure out a decent fix just using nuts and bolts.
Oh and a bench grinder helps. LOL.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,233
Looks like a fun day.

Hey the tail light guards you have.
Any idea of they are real Mopar ones?
I have what looks like the same on my Jeep and think they are but
could never confirm one way or the other.

As far as fender flares go do you know that they only real way to put them back on
properly is to take off the brackets?
Problem is you almost always snap at least a couple studs.
Did figure out a decent fix just using nuts and bolts.
Oh and a bench grinder helps. LOL.
I have no idea if they are mopar or aftermarket. I just know they are kind of a pain and everybody wants them. I saw the other day that one of them has rusted badly and the lower mount is separated. So I need to fix it. They aren't very strong as it is, so I don't trust them for protection, but I like the look for now, so I deal with it. I should clean them both up then either remount or sell them.

Yeah after an hour of cussing I googled it and learned I had to basically remove the parts to get it all back on. F$^& that. I loosened the studs and snapped most off of each piece. Then snapped the flare in and retightened the remaining studs. So the passenger is barely hanging on. The drivers side I ripped off while wheeling needs the same treatment but Im so frustrated about the passneger side I want to do something else if I can afford to.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I like them and I used to get a lot of comments on mine too. Frankly if I was still out there thrashing around in the woods I would not run them.
Instead of brush guards they should call them brush catchers. LOL.
But since my Jeep is just a DD and I am going for a look I am glad I found them. Found them on Craigslist a long time ago. $25 shipped.

It is not really to hard to fix the brackets.
Check out my post here at #7.

If you want more details let me know.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Veddy nice!
That's about a perfect size group for wheeling!
#jealous.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,236
Ok, Ive made the decision to move my front factory flares up and inch or two and trim of whats sticking out after that. Im ordering new mounting brackets to save myself the trouble of trying to clean up my broken ones. They are too rusty to make it worth it to save them.

As for the rockers: Hooligan Off Road Engineering must be closed. They aren't answering the phone and their message box is full. No one has replied to my email from the beginning of the week either. Id at least like their plans for the rocker kit so I can make them myself or have someone else make them. Grr, probably do that the hard way then. I really like their kit.

Steering is groaning after the bath on sunday, I drove it to town and out to a fishing hole and back and it drives fine, but maybe I need to lube the steering again. Seems like more than that, so I need to look for cracks and such.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ok, Ive made the decision to move my front factory flares up and inch or two and trim of whats sticking out after that. Im ordering new mounting brackets to save myself the trouble of trying to clean up my broken ones. They are too rusty to make it worth it to save them.
Well I guess we know somebody that got their stimulus check already. LOL.
All 8? That can't be cheap.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,238
Well I guess we know somebody that got their stimulus check already. LOL.
All 8? That can't be cheap.
No just the front 4. I think I saw some for ~20 so I need to shop around a bit.

·
Registered
879 Posts
No just the front 4. I think I saw some for ~20 so I need to shop around a bit.
Thinking you could probably average $15 each before tax.
Probably get a deal on free shipping.
The smaller ones cost less then the bigger ones.
I know you don't want to but you could repair one bracket it very little time.
Took me forever to work out the nuts bolts. And bit on the very first stud feeling
my way through handling it. Second stud not so long. By the third stud thinking
2 minutes to get it out. LOL.
But having a bench grinder played big part in that.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,240
Im not worried about fixing the studs, I just don't want to clean up all the rust on those flimsy brackets.

1221 - 1240 of 1268 Posts