Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1241 - 1260 of 1295 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,241 (Edited)
Well, I managed to save all but two of the nuts from the fender flare on the drivers side. Im assuming I'll lose a couple from the passenger, so I bought a pack of them on ebay. Not easy to find them affordably, but oh well, theyre on the way. I ordered all new brackets for both sides as well, and I am combing over a writeup on how to relocate the front factory flares 1-2 inches up. I cannot get ahold of Hooligan Off Road, I think they are closed. I am trying again this week. If I have to, Id like to get some plans or dimensions of their kit so I can get one made for me.

Today I went wheeling with friends and left my jeep in the parking lot. It was some nasty ground we were in. Hills straight up and down, slippery loose sandy soil, and waaaaay too many trees for me. Most of what we were in didn't even look like a trail. And once we had gone thru, it looked like a couple elephants had stampeded through. I was in a CJ that my buddy was piloting and we nearly died coming down a hill backwards with no brakes. He saved it from flopping sideways onto my side, and somehow by the grace of God avoided all the trees on the way down. We made it rubber side down, and the only damage was a snapped rear driveshaft that was the cause of us going backwards to begin with. Wipe the brown off the seats, replace the driveshaft and continue on. Other rigs had 35s, 40s, 42s, and if they weren't boggers they had tractor tires. Most rigs were complete beaters or full buggies. Just a bit out of my league so we were glad we left mine up top. Only 3 rigs caught on fire, and only 2 snapped axles. It was a damn good day. Then I stopped for a quick scenic detour on the way home.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch with the puppies! 😁
Wheeling 101 - never exceed the limitations of your vehicle or your skill! 👍🏻👍🏻
Just busting your berries. Glad you had fun.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,243
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch with the puppies! 😁
Wheeling 101 - never exceed the limitations of your vehicle or your skill! 👍🏻👍🏻
Just busting your berries. Glad you had fun.
Absolutely. The closest thing to an XJ there besides me was what was left of one after he cut half the body off, most of the top, deskinned it, and added a full exocage with a baja truck style rear. Basically a 4.0 on a unibody and some tube lol. Others were the same except made from toyotas and they had rice and cane tires lol.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey Superman I just spent an hour catching up on your thread and all the work you've been doing. Nice job man, glad you were able to get back to the jeep and give it the love she deserves! And that shiny shiny manifold...

Reactions: XJSuperman

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,245
Thanks! Still measuring the wanted parts list in thousands of dollars but I took a big chunk out of it!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,246
Started moving the fender flare today. Drivers side is drilled and cut. Now to sand and clean it up before mounting and unmounting and trimming and mounting and unmounting and trimming and so on and so forth...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,248

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,250
Drivers side done. A couple slow days and I quit early last night to let the paint dry before installing and fitting the flare and liner today. Tomorrownill probablynstart the passenger side. When Im done I will have to flex test so I know if it rubs the back of the flare or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,251 (Edited)
Started the passenger side last night. Made good progress. Also, ARESFAB has the J channels for the rocker replacement I have been looking for. They are open and shipping. I have them talked into putting the kit back on the website, apparently they took it down because they weren't selling many. Price is better than Hooligan's anyways and Ares is easy to communicate with. So fyi to those who need to do rocker replacements.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,252
AresFab says he'll sell the kits at a discount price of $150 for a week or so. Normally they go for $175. Let him know GrainbeltGarage sent you just in case.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,254
If I had rockers. :giggle:
This is for installing 2x6 tube like you did, except its IMHO a stronger method. Or maybe not stonger but possibly easier. I think I can skip the gusset arms from the unibody to the 2x6 tube this way.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
They are like a negative of the regular rocker, then you slide the 2x6 into these. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,256
Last night's progress: got fender cut, primed, painted, and ready for final mount and trimming of flare and liner tonight:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Looking good buddy...wish I could lay on my back long enough to start the driverside on mine. I'll just settle on staring at the wonderful job i did on passenger side for another 5 years:(

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,258
Got my parts from AresFab last night! That was quick! Now if only I had the steel and 2 weeks time to do it, but I only have one week, and I'd rather not rush myself or get caught with one side exposed before going wheeling again next weekend. Im finishing the last of the liner install in the fender tonight, then flex testing this weekend, and ready to wheel the next. Also, the new nuts I ordered for the flares are finally shipping today, ebay guy let me down, but I sent a message and he refunded the shipping cost (about half the total), so that was nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,260
Topless day cruise with the club. All but 3 had their tops on. I was the only xj. 85% jk/jl, the rest were cj7, yj, tj, commando, and me. Odometer said roughly 140 miles. Lots of gravel roads, 2 state parks, and one angry park ranger.

Attachments

1241 - 1260 of 1295 Posts