Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
And I need a favor....will one of you drive to Iowa and punch me in the face? Somehow I thought it would be smart to use a carriage bolt last time I fixed the upper shock mount. Spent waaay too long trying to get a wrench on it.
That's a Gluck move right there!

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,282
Last night I channeled my inner Ralph and got out the metalprep and opened up the POR15. My shackle relocators came so rather than prime/painting I'm hoping this will hold up better. Unfortunately i ran out of brushes for the second coating. So tonight i get to scuff and redo it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,283
Cleaned the garage, popped in the Jeep, jacked up, and shot some PB blaster at it. Yanked the shackles, pulled the skid-hitch, and cleaned up some spots with a wirebrush and some primer. Then I cut a hole in the unibody.........so I nee dto patch it tonight. It was a rusty thin spot. Tonight I also will paint, POR15, and begin reassembly. Hopefully finish so I can compare pinion angle and lift height. I may not make it out of the garage because it could be too tall.
Angle values:
pinion 9.5 deg
driveshaft 15.5 for a difference of 6 degrees. Hoping to maintain that and avoid shims.
spring plate leaning 1 deg forward

HD Offroad Engineering shackle relocators going in, and the last BPE.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
are yoiu measuring driveshaft angle or transfer case angle. Those are the two that have to match.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,285
are you measuring driveshaft angle or transfer case angle. Those are the two that have to match.
Rear pinion, and rear driveshaft. I did not measure the transfer case as I have an SYE and a stock front shaft in the rear. Are you saying I should have measured the rear tcase angle on the sye yoke? Daggumit. Too late now.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,286
Pics of progress:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
OK, I see what you are doing now. Yes, that angle at the U joint should be a straight as possible. So many people get hung up on drive shaft angles when it isn't what they should be measuring. I just eyeballed mine and called it good. As long as it is less than a 4° flex at the pinion you will be OK. Outfits like Six States say 6°, but I have found it starts vibrating just a wee bit at that angle. At my lift height I ended up with 4° on the front drive line pinion joint, but it is ok and no vibes

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,288
Well Im at and have been at 6 degrees for years now with no issues. Im sure it could be better but no vibes. As long as I maintain that (or it gets better which is doubtful) then I should be fine.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,289
As of 1am today, the Jeep has been hit with POR15 in key places, primed/painted in others, and gas tank skid/hitch back in mostly. The driver side has the HD Offroad Engineering Shackle Relocator bracket installed, and shackle bolt in. I like it, but I am very nervous the only way it gets out of the garage is with flat tires. Won't clear the garage door. I had it up on tall jackstands, tires just off the ground an inch maybe before I disconnected everything. To reinstall, I just swung the shackle up and popped in the bolt. I pulled the jackstand out on that side and the jeep sits pretty high in the back now. Gotta get the passenger side in this evening and get the whole thing on its own weight. Oh boy. Say your prayers for my driveline angles and to keep the DeathWobble away.

Before I started this, I put in one BPE. On flat ground the shock was just barely sitting on the built-in bumpstop. Now its got a few inches of uptravel showing. Just by that, the jeep went up closer to 3-4" instead of 1.5". I need to get the whole jeep on its own weight to get a better idea obviously.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Veddy nice!
Your pic is of the passenger side. So I don't know what the shackle box looks like. I put in no lift shackle boxes and used a boomerang shackle. I have about half a dozen holes on mine that can drastically change the lift height and ride quality.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,291
Veddy nice!
Your pic is of the parent
What? Im going to assume you meant "passenger side" instead of parent, and yes, thats becuase my sleepy ass didn't take a pic of the driver side when I was done.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
What? Im going to assume you meant "passenger side" instead of parent, and yes, thats becuase my sleepy ass didn't take a pic of the driver side when I was done.
I did say passenger! 😁

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,293
Done an driving! Cleared the garage door opening by millimeters lol. Rubbed the weather strip it's so close. No vibes. No wobbles yet, and it rides so nice. No binding, no problems yet. Knock on wood. Shocks show I'm maybe 2" taller. Not on the bump stops anymore

Attachments

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,295
1611 miles between July 26 and yesterday. Jeep drove to Ohio and back to Iowa with no problems. Felt amazing to have it running so well and able to make that trip. Its slower than in the Mini or a modern car but thats to be expected. I had no real problems running 74-78mph the whole time. Had a few bursts up to 83mph before I caught myself or had to slow down. I do have some driveline vibes at 77 and up. Haven't decided if its worth it for shims yet. Tires are rapidly climbing the parts list since the rears are at the wear bars. Fronts are much better but two half tires aren't a good match for two new tires. Craigslist and a spare may be the plan.

I love the look on the faces of the people driving camaros and such when my shitbox flies past them on the highway. They have no idea what just happened and are suddenly aggravated that I felt the need to pass them. Wanna piss someone off? Just play tag with a "fast" car for miles and miles on the road while you drive a shitbox.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Oh yeah, I love playing tag with them

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,297
Oil change yesterday at 194,4xx. A fresh round of 15w-40 rotella T4 and wix filter. I think i overfilled it a bit so Ill check it again when I get home and maybe drain a bit off. Chances are itll leak out anyways.

I think its developing or has driveline vibes. Not so much vibes but grumbles. It was only at high speeds before it seemed but Ive heard some at slower speeds now. May be looking into shims afterall

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts