Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Finally got it inside and emptied out to work on it. Saturday I removed the rack and tweaked it with my hilift jack and a 4x4 block. Fits much better in the back now. Then I drilled 4 1/2" holes in the trailer rails and rack rails and installed a 1/2" eyebolt in each hole. Zipped the nuts on with my impact and now the rack is bolted down solid.

Started on mocking up my 81mm ammo can underbody toolboxes. Thats this week's project, along with cutting holes out for stake pocket access.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Ordered more Monstaliner a day or two ago. I had to clear up some thoughts I had on the product after disappointing myself with the scars the trailer has accumulated from use. Its not the product's fault, its mine. This will be remedied and scars repaired. Also, the time has finally come to mount the 81mm ammo cans Ive been hanging onto since I got the trailer almost. This is the last big push for the Sears Trailer Project before spring arrives and I want to take it places. lol.

Brief list:
-mount ammo cans
-mount foldout table
-design and build spare tire mount
-design and build LP tank brackets for each tank size
-establish a plan and take a risk and purchase a tarp
-check wheel hubs/bearings

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Got it!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like the old school military tires :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Haven't touched it other than used it once last week to haul some bikes to the pawnshop. The trailer needs love. I need to get back on it and mount the toolboxes, fix the monstaliner, and buy a tarp. $200+ for vinyl, or $150 for canvas. Both will hurt the wallet, canvas will be more period correct, vinyl will be more durable. :dunno:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Depends on if you want it looking military or not.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
It looks military regardless. I get asked what kind of army trailer it is everywhere i go.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #208 (Edited)
Can't remember whats missing between now and May thanks to the forum failure.

Trailer hauled a load in the moving and is now inside its new home waiting for me to start on the next additions/repairs to it.

·
Super Moderator
10,443 Posts
Can't remember whats missing between now and May thanks to the forum failure.

Trailer hauled a load in the moving and is now inside its new home waiting for me to start on the next additions/repairs to it.
Veddy Nice.

Is this move out or move in?

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Move out.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Haven't posted in here for awhile....

Trailer is doing ok. It needs a good scrubbing and some Monstaliner touchup after moving into the house in July, and a few trips since. The rack needs final touches like topcoat and stake pocket cutouts, but all in all its looking good.

I will be revisiting this soonish, and will be cleaning up the rack, adding a fold-out table, and building an LP tank holder to assist in strapping one down when I go on a trip.

I did learn recently that it will hold almost exactly one cubic yard of mulch or topsoil. It hauled 3 loads to the house this spring. I also picked up 800 lbs of tractor weights with it and hauled them home.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Well this update is like the last couple, only a little better. I pulled the trailer out last night and powerwashed it quick. I want to use it this weekend so it had to be emptied out and cleaned up. Been sitting for awhile and I haven't done anything to it.
The to-do list looks the same as it did 2 years ago....
-cut out stake pocket holes in rack
-coat rack in POR Topcoat
-mount ammo cans
-mount foldout table
-design and build spare tire mount
-design and build LP tank brackets for each tank size
-check wheel hubs/bearings
-fix monstaliner spots (from poor prep on my part)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Is this going to be an overlanding trailer. Sounds like all the right stuff for that

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Overlanding is a strong word but yes. Its a camping trailer and utility trailer. Everything comes off or is out of the way to do utility stuff with, and it all goes back on for camping with minimal effort.

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
I have long range plans like that for the XJ. But alas, that is a ways off

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
The trailer doesnt care if it's in my backyard or 1000miles away, it's just built for whatever. The jeep however, is another story. I'm waiting to see what's happening with your build

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Exciting things are happening. I am taking the Detroit locker in today to get the ring gear holes enlarged to 1/2" so I can attach the D44HD gears. Probably order up custom 33 spline axles next week as soon as the locker comes back

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Trailer pics from the weekend

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,256 Posts
Very nice. Nice portable fire pit too. Too bad they don't have an XJ model. I guess we will have to settle for CJ

201 - 220 of 232 Posts