Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Update. Rack is still in progress, but plans have changed. I now have enough pieces to complete it (minus the angle iron slide rails) and it will be much better than the last version. The above yellow pieces are going, and more of the pallet-racking uprights material will be used in place. Lighter, strong enough, and more streamlined (simpler).

I need to buy the rails, and get my hands on a welder for a day. And a saw.

Also, the trailer is taking a beating as I tear apart an hpD30 in it, sliding it around, banging on it, etc. Monstaliner is holding up good, but it doesn't like sharp metal gouging it. I think maybe lineX is harder, but doesn't last in other ways.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #162

Attachments

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Better edit and another pic

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Only with a gopro lol

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
You forgot to give us the duck face....lol so photogenic......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
You forgot to give us the duck face....lol so photogenic......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Kidding or not, photogenic is not a term used in when talking about me lol.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Campsite

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Started on the rack yesterday and got sidetracked into helping with the jeep show. Might not be built in time now

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Tonight...

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
This followed me home yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Very nice, has stake po keys on it already. That would make it easy to add a removable rack. Any rust issues?

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Very nice, has stake po keys on it already. That would make it easy to add a removable rack. Any rust issues?
Floor is a little rusty in the front, might need work, all of these trailers came with stake pockets, and they aren't strong enough for a rack to mount in them. (See my current rack project). This model is a BenHur but is nearly identical. This one will get hauled to ohio for my father.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Looked closers that's just like your current trailer isn't it. Duh...... still great to have a second one to work with. I'm jealous. There's what appears to be a M105 trailer on a farm near me that's been sitting in a pasture for years but the guy that owns it won't even talk to me about selling it. Just sitting with other old derelict equipment but he won't sell.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Looked closers that's just like your current trailer isn't it. Duh...... still great to have a second one to work with. I'm jealous. There's what appears to be a M105 trailer on a farm near me that's been sitting in a pasture for years but the guy that owns it won't even talk to me about selling it. Just sitting with other old derelict equipment but he won't sell.
An M105 would be too big for you. Try an M101 or m1101

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Not too big for the F450 we use on the farm. It would also be great for behind the tractor I use for servicing the drainage pumps. I would love a M101 for the Jeep however.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Not too big for the F450 we use on the farm. It would also be great for behind the tractor I use for servicing the drainage pumps. I would love a M101 for the Jeep however.
I beg to differ, but I have seen m105s with smaller wheels/tires behind pickups. I vote m101 for truck, and something smaller for the jeep. The military trailers are stupid heavy. Your jeep will definitely know its there.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
I use my Jeep primarily on our family farm. I don't think I've gotten it over 40 mph since I got it back together. Yes it feels heavier trailers but I can justify the purchase and rebuild on my taxes if I use it for our farm so it needs to be fairly heavy duty. Plus I just like the look of the military trailers. I have a lighter 4x6 ft trailer that I've used for camping and off-road for 30 years + that is due for yet another rebuild. I've towed it behind my Ford Courier, Chevy Blazer, Ford Bronco, several pickups, Jeep Wagoneer (SJ not XJ) and finally the XJ. That being said it is also fairly heavy duty, I built it out of a boat trailer and has 3500# axle. It probably weighs 2-3 times what your trailer weighs but I don't worry about ever overloading it.

161 - 180 of 218 Posts