Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Just dropped the coin on new wheels, tires, and suspension. Same look, just replacing worn out everything.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Not on this one. The cost difference for suspension upgrade vs replacement is 1000 dollars lol. That's oem struts vs coilovers

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Parts!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Update:
Wheels and tires are mounted and on the car...Ive had the fronts on and off several times already in the process of fixing what I broke while installing the new front struts.
Front struts are in and feel nice.
New passenger side cv axle is installed. I separated it accidentally and then had codes when I shoved it together. I realized the carrier bearing was going bad (yes the passenger side has a carrier bearing lol), so I ordered a new one and got it in. Still have codes, after my new code reader came I see that its a speed sensor deal, so I just ordered those.
Oh, and I broke the swaybar links too, so I replaced them. One was stuck so I cut it, and the other I snapped being dumb.
Im not thrilled with the balance on the new wheels/tires. Kinda mad at the local shop that did them anyhow (for petty reasons) so I might have another shop check them. Its only money right?

Been driving the jeep to work everyday for a week or more now. Its doing ok.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Found that the wires going to the passenger side speed sensor plug (upstream from the new sensor I was installing) had a couple of bare wires. Replaced the sensor, and wrapped up the exposed wires and my codes are gone.
Now I need to figure out why it has a shimmy or vibration at 55mph. Almost like its hunting too, but Im hoping thats just cause its new tires. The vibe could be a bad balancing or maybe I forgot to tighten something.

·
Super Moderator
10,437 Posts
Found that the wires going to the passenger side speed sensor plug (upstream from the new sensor I was installing) had a couple of bare wires. Replaced the sensor, and wrapped up the exposed wires and my codes are gone.
Now I need to figure out why it has a shimmy or vibration at 55mph. Almost like its hunting too, but Im hoping thats just cause its new tires. The vibe could be a bad balancing or maybe I forgot to tighten something.
I have a beam type torque wrench that I use to check my lug nuts. Every one gets 95 ft pds. Haven't lost a wheel yet!
I just got new tires on my jetta. Major difference. Very smooth. New uniroyal Laredo cross country. White letters. Woot woot.
I would only give them a small window to smooth out, like maybe 75-100 miles. And if you can't find anything, get back to the installer and see what's up! Just my 2 cents.

Btw, isn't she a sexy beeoch? :giggle:

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Make fun of something, give that p.o.s ranger a kicking for me. Lol, sorry I have Ford issues....always
I assume you mean my old white ranger in the beginning of the thread? Its gone, on its second owner now after me. And its thread is/was here: XJSuperman's Operation Winter Ranger

Check that for what it looks like now!

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I have a beam type torque wrench that I use to check my lug nuts. Every one gets 95 ft pds. Haven't lost a wheel yet!
I just got new tires on my jetta. Major difference. Very smooth. New uniroyal Laredo cross country. White letters. Woot woot.
I would only give them a small window to smooth out, like maybe 75-100 miles. And if you can't find anything, get back to the installer and see what's up! Just my 2 cents.
I'm more of a 100lb torque stick on an electric impact kinda guy these days. I double check with my Mac torque wrench from time to time, but never had any issues. Im probably up to 200 miles or so now and its still there. Aggravating. Im going to recheck them all, and probably have them checked for balance again when I have time after vacation. These new wheels don't fit my hubs tight like the last set. They have tapered seats and tapered lug studs though, so I don't think they should be an issue.

You got a little Pennsylvania rust there Gluck, better fix that up with some armor lol.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Spray foam and west virginia chrome ( duct tape) 😜
😨 that was the demise of my rockers. Jeep thought it to be a good idea to put spray foam in there. It only holds moisture like a sponge. I pulled a bunch of it out of the rocker area. JM also had the same problem on his WJ.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I assume you mean my old white ranger in the beginning of the thread? Its gone, on its second owner now after me. And its thread is/was here: XJSuperman's Operation Winter Ranger

Check that wha it looks like now!
Yeah saw that, that's one awesome bed time story. no one would want my heap of ford. I can't complain, can't kill mine mechanically. Just the little things that piss me off

·
Super Moderator
10,437 Posts
😨 that was the demise of my rockers. Jeep thought it to be a good idea to put spray foam in there. It only holds moisture like a sponge. I pulled a bunch of it out of the rocker area. JM also had the same problem on his WJ.
my 02 jetta had a recall for rusted out front fenders because of a piece of foam that was attached on the inside, held moisture and cause them to rust out. I was 1 year late for the recall.
I was only joking about the spray foam. I would only do that if I was getting ready to sell it. which may never happen. fahrfegnuten.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Mini is back up and running. I had to remove the new wheels/tires for maybe the 3rd time (kinda a b**** since they arent hub-centric and don't sit nicely by themselves) and took them down to a different shop to rebalance them. First shop didn't know their ass from their face and thats pretty sad since its my local small town shop that I wanted to support. Antoher $85 later I have lifetime balancing (pretty sure this is a sucker deal for old ladies and kids) but at least the job is done right.

When I picked the wheels up from the first shop a weight fell off in my hand, I had them fix it and they supposedly did while I loaded the others. The car made 3 very short trips (20miles) with the new setup and had a shimmy/shake from day1. When I pulled them off another wheel had a weight fall off in my hand, a second wheel was missing its weight already, the third was ok, and the fourth had 2.75oz on one side, and directly across from it (working against it) was another .5oz. Idiots. Anyhow, all better now, and I can begin to tear the Jeep apart.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts