Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I didn't really need a thread for this, but I didn't want it in my other topics, so here we are...

We've been attempting to get some rennovations done at work and have been cleaning out the shop and scrapping and trashing stuff like its our jobs....its not, we get paid to build custom axle housings.

Anyhow, after some shelves were emptied, I found a Wilton benchvise in the scrap pile. I asked, and was rewarded with a laugh and a "if its in the scrap you can help yourself" response. SCORE!

Got it home, started looking it over. Its a Wilton vise, 5" jaws and opens roughly 5 inches as well. No model stamped on it, or any part numbers. So I hopped on the Wilton website and started browsing and after a couple days I finally found my way around a very poorly designed website with alltogether too many categories to sort through if you don't really know what the difference is between a bullet vise and a shop vise or a shop vise vs a general use vise. Then I found it, its a WS5 model vise, and ALL of Wilton's vise products have lifetime warranties and parts replacement. So I gave them a call and spoke to Thomas, who promptly sent me the piece I needed.

3 days later I have the part, which was the little threaded anchor at the back of the vise that allows the opening and closing of it. Mine was stripped smooth. Which is why it was shelved and forgotten and then scrapped at work I guess.

The moral of this story is don't be hasty in throwing things out, esp if its tool related. My top of the line freebie vise should last me a really long time. And I trust it works better than something off the harbor freight shelf or wherever. Good tools come with good warranties and most of the time you get good people willing to help you out. Thanks Wilton.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
cool score.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be that in many production environments, it's easier to replace a tool than have it fixed. This one was no exception to the company's PO. So thanks to his lack of patience, TA DA

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems to be that in many production environments, it's easier to replace a tool than have it fixed. This one was no exception to the company's PO. So thanks to his lack of patience, TA DA
That's the disposable society we live in. But a vice?!!! That's kind of like throwing out an anvil. Lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's amazing what some people think is garbage just because they don't understand or care about simple tools. Nice pull.

Reminds me when bought a 1990 Accord on the cheap...they said it didn't accelerate well anymore...after I bought it I inspected a linkage and found a bent lever between the throttle body and the transmission...once I straightened it out, voila, it would downshift again when you pegged the gas!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely need to update this thread with my homebrew beast of a hitch-vise.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have a pretty stout hitch vise. It is old like from the 60s and weighs probably 40 pounds. I couldnt find a place to mount it at my house, so i bought a hitch plate from harbor freight and use it when i need it

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I present to you (for the second time but in another thread), Project Hitch Vise.

Started with square tube, cut it open with the plasma cutter and cleaned it up. Made sure the vise arm fit well.

Then welded the tube back together to form a custom sized rectangular tube.

Bolted the threaded anchor post into the bottom and threaded in arm. Last pic has mockup shown.

Then adapted the main tube down to fit inside a receiver hitch. Lots of weight and welded mess there...

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next set of pics. Building the anvil and welding up the fixed side of the jaw.

Then finished up. Now it lives in the back of the jeep and weighs in at _______

The anvil also serves as the carrying handle and is perfectly balanced for carrying it a short distance. It's too heavy to enjoy carrying all over tarnation.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have accumulated a couple more vises since posting here last. Ill grab pics tonight, but the original vise in this thread has taken a beating mounted on my main bench in the garage I now have. It needs a set of jaws, and its been rounded off pretty badly but it does everything I ask it too for now.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...as promised 2 months ago

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts