Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on a cold air intake? I've heard that they are pretty inexpensive, easy to install, and very beneficial to the engine. I'm looking at Rusty's Air Tube and was wondering if anybody here has ever tried it?

Is his air tube easy to install?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Even if you don't wheel you probably wouldn't feel any gains anyway because the intake would be sucking in hot air since it sits right next to the exhaust manifold. The ony advantage is a cool swooshing sound...

·
Registered
444 Posts
X2 with crawltech... throttle body spacers give you quite a bit.. power and mileage..
i haven't done much research on it but i've seen a 62mm throttle body that is bolt on and plug it in.. no idea how much that costs though..

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I'm using an AEM, although not on a 4.0L.

Here is a link for filtration performance results:

AEM - DRYFLOW Performance Filters

Supposedly these results are from an independent lab.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't spend your money on a CAI. First off, it's not "cold air", it is just a cone filter. It still pulls in the same temperature air so you really aren't gaining anything. You can get the same gains running a stock replacement K&N filter. Also, like other guys are saying, it sucks for wheeling. Your stock airbox is a little more enclosed so it keeps water out of your filter. If you ever go through a mud puddle you can see that water gets flung everywhere from the clutch fan, so having your air filter protected is definitly necessary.

·
Registered
323 Posts
how would one go about protecting the air filter?

edit: how would one go about protecting the air filter WITHOUT disrupting air flow

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I've used Throttle Body spacers before...No Gain other then you have a little less cash in your pocket, unless you're running a large displacement engine...Although, some of them make a neat whistling noise, but not much in the way of Horsepower/torque)

The cold air intakes are alright, but they do let a lot more dust in. You can protect them with a sleeve, but for best results, I'd probably use your stock airbox with a drop in K & N filter for the street, and keep a regular paper filter on hand for trail rides...

If you do want to get a cold air intake, these are pretty decent:

Volant Cool Air Intakes

Other then that, I'd look at a K&N FIPK

Stay away from the "kits" that are just chrome tubes with a cone on the end, they'll do no good for you...

Later.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
One other thing. The stock air box is a cold air intake. It is just restrictive. If you get a tube an cone filter, you still need to get air from outside. People like ARB put their intakes out the fender and draw air from just a little higher that the hood, claiming it reduces the amount of dust in the filter.

The only real way to get away from dust in the filter is to use a centrifugal filter like those found on agricultural and logging equipment. The only draw back with them is that they are huge. But they spin the air before going through the element and get rid of 90% of the dust first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts